Hosting a student can be fun, educational, and rewarding for both the host and student. If you are interested in becoming a host family, please explore the following:
Once your host family application is submitted, qualifying families will have an in-home interview, orientation and undergo a Criminal History background check.
A good host family can provide...
- A caring home and informal conversation
- Information and support about culture and practical matters
- A comfortable living space for the student, including a private bedroom furnished with a bed, dresser, lamp, and desk, plus sheets, blankets and towels
- An evening meal and food for breakfast during the week, plus all meals on weekends
- A home within easy commuting distance to UO's campus (within about 40 minutes)
In return, a host family receives...
- Knowledge about another culture
- The opportunity to share their own culture
- The chance to get to know an interesting person from a very different background
- $750 per month, paid directly from the student