The University of Oregon (UO) American English Institute (AEI), a unit of the College of Arts and Sciences, has been a leader in providing online and blended or "hybrid" programs and courses since 1996, when we started offering courses for English language learners and teachers. During this time we have served thousands of English educators and learners in about 200 countries around the world. Currently, AEI is delivering the Academic English for International Students (AEIS) courses online and the Intensive English Program through remote delivery.
Remote Intensive English Program
The American English Institute's Remote Intensive English Program (IEP) offers online non-credit courses for 10 weeks or 4 weeks so you can study from your home country. Full-time students take 18 hours of core courses in the 10-week and 5-week program. Part-time students can take 6 hours or 12 hours during the 10-week program.
The IEP has 7 levels, from ePrep to Level 6, that are designed for students interested in general English and academic English preparation.
Academic English for International Students
The Academic English for International Students (AEIS) Program offers summer online courses to help international UO students with a TOEFL score of 70 or higher prepare for study at the university. These four-credit courses help students complete up to three (12 credits) required university English courses before arriving on campus in the fall. AEIS courses also help students develop the skills they need for communication, cultural integration, and active participation in the academic environment of the university.
AEIS will offer the following remote courses in summer term 2020:
- AEIS 102 Advanced Academic Oral Communication
- AEIS 108 Advanced Reading Academic Discourse
- AEIS 111 Written Discourse II
- AEIS 112 Written Discourse III
Why take classes early?
- Get a head start on your coursework before you arrive on campus.
- Save some money! You will not have living costs in Eugene.
- Meet other students online before you arrive on campus.
How do I register for classes?
Email Dr. Tom Tasker, AEIS coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org, letting him know which class or classes you want to take. He will help you complete the class registration.
- If you have a TOEFL score of 70 or higher (or an IELTS score of 6.5), you can take AEIS 111 and AEIS 108. If you think you might be exempt from these classes, you can take our AEIS Placement Test.
- If you don’t have a TOEFL score or it’s below 70 (or IELTS below 6.5), please take our AEIS Placement Test to see which classes you can take. You may have to wait to take classes until fall term if you do not test into AEIS 111.
If you have any questions, contact Dr. Tom Tasker at email@example.com.