We recommend you bring no more than one large suitcase, a reasonably-sized duffel bag, and a backpack. It is important that you contact your airline to find out about baggage restrictions to and from the country. Be sure to label each bag (inside and outside) with your name and address.
While everyone has their own tastes and habits, the following is a sample to get you started:
- Airline Ticket/E-Ticket number
- Passport valid for at least 6 months beyond entry date to United States
- F1/F2 Visa Form 1-20 Certificate of Eligibility
- or J1/J2 Visa Form DS-2019 attached to passport
- Cash in U.S. dollars to cover initial expenses
- Fall (5-18 C): Weather is typically cool with a mix of rainy and sunny days. You will want to pack layers: long pants, long sleeves, sweater/sweatshirt, rain jacket, umbrella
- Winter (1-9 C): Eugene cools down in the winter and has more rainy days than fall. You will want to pack: long pants, long sleeves, rain jacket, winter coat, umbrella, warm gloves, hats, and socks
- Spring (4-17 C): Spring term will have less rain and a mix of warm and cool days. You will want to pack layers: long pants, shorts, long and short sleeves, a sweatshirt
- Summer (14 -27 C): Summer in Eugene has very little rain and lots of sun! You will want to pack: shorts, short sleeves, dresses, a light jacket
- Student attire: The University of Oregon campus is a casual dress environment.
- Everyday walking/sports shoes
- Sweater or light jacket/fleece/light windbreaker (waterproof)
- Traditional/cultural items from home to share
- Bath items:
- Small bath towel/washcloth/soap
- Sunblock, swimwear, sandals
- Cellphone, alarm clock, laptop, camera (adaptor for US electricity sockets)
- Bookbag, backpack, or satchel
- Medical prescriptions from doctor
- allergy medication, glasses, contact lenses, prescribed medication
- Photos of friends and family
Note: Campus Housing and Homestay will provide a pillow, sheets, and blanket. For additional resources see: UO Housing's Packing List.