Academic English for International Students (AEIS)
The AEIS program helps international students develop advanced expertise in English. Students take regular UO courses while enrolled in the AEIS program. AEIS courses are credit-bearing courses and count toward UO graduation requirements. The only way to be exempt from the AEIS program is with a qualifying TOEFL or IELTS score listed here.
Conditional Admission to the University of Oregon
The University of Oregon may offer you conditional admission if you require additional English language instruction to be successful in your studies at the university level. If you are conditionally admitted, you will attend the American English Institute to study English in the Intensive English Program (IEP). Upon successful completion of this program, you will enter the UO as an undergraduate with additional Academic English (AEIS) courses.
Transitioning from Intensive English Program (IEP) to University of Oregon Undergraduate Student
You may enter the UO with a score of PBT 500, iBT 61 or IELTS 6. In addition, you must have good academic standing in the IEP. The UO will not admit conditionally admitted IEP students who do not pass their IEP classes. Students who are disqualified from the AEI for academic and/or attendance reasons will also lose their conditional admission to the UO. If you receive a passing TOEFL or IELTS score:
- Submit your score report directly to the AEI Academic Advising office.
- An Academic Advisor will forward the report onto the UO Office of Admissions.
- If your score is verified AND you passed your IEP classes, the UO Office of Admissions will contact you about your admission status.
- The UO Office of Admissions will verify your English proficiency score, which can take 12 weeks or longer.
- The UO Office of Admissions will verify that you have passed your IEP.