Getting a Visa

Use your AEI Admissions letter and Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) form to secure your U.S. Student Visa. Most undergraduate students will receive an I-20 for F-1 visa status. Exchange and sponsored students may receive a DS-2019 and will need to apply for a J-1 visa. Please do not make appointments for your Student Visa with a U.S. Embassy/Consulate until you receive your UO AEI Certificate of Eligibility.

Required SEVIS Fee

  • All prospective students are required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee before applying for a student visa. Credit card payment is simple through the online process at I-901 Fee.
  • SEVP payment requires the UO's school code = POO214F00001000 and your SEVIS ID # (found above the bar code on your I-20).
  • SEVIS payment is $350 for F-1 and $220 for J-1.
  • For instructions go to SEVIS Fee Frequently Asked Questions.

Visa Interview

After you have paid your SEVIS fee, you can apply for a visa. Check with your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate office to determine what documents and fees are required.

For more information about visa regulations, please go to

You can enter the U.S. 30 days prior to the program start date, as shown on your I-20 or DS-2019 form.

Transfer students within the US
Obtain and submit the AEI SEVIS Transfer form to the international SEVIS adviser at your current institution. Your adviser will complete the form and mail or fax the original to the UO’s AEI Admissions Coordinator. The AEI will either mail you your new I-20, or have you pick it up at the AEI Admissions/SEVIS Office (106 Agate Hall), after the designated SEVIS transfer release date.

AEI Address

American English Institute
106 Agate Hall
5212 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5212
Phone: +1-541-346-3945

Visa Regulations

As an AEI student approved for an intensive English program, you are required by the U.S. government to comply with the following F-1 and J-1 Visa regulations:

  • Pursue and complete full-time study in the IEP and/or advising-approved UO courses.
  • Be in good academic standing.
  • Attend class daily.

It is important that you know and follow the U.S. rules and regulations for studying in an intensive English program as an international student. If you have any questions about your visa status, make an appointment with an AEI International/SEVIS Adviser, particularly if you

  • have a lost or stolen I-20 or passport
  • plan to change from one visa type to another
  • plan to extend your stay beyond the time indicated on your I-20
  • have dependent family members join you in the U.S.
  • plan to transfer to a new school in the U.S.

Steps for Dealing with Lost or Stolen Immigration Documents

  • If stolen, call Campus Police (541) 346-2922 to file a police report.
  • Check UO Lost & Found in the EMU or call 541- 346-3711.
  • Contact your local consulate immediately to get a new passport.
  • Alert an AEI SEVIS adviser as soon as possible. The SEVIS adviser can make a duplicate copy of the I-20 and provide advice on how to apply for a replacement visa.  

Be sure to keep secure copies of your immigration documents and have them accessible while traveling in the U.S., outside of the Eugene area. U.S. regulations require all visitors to carry proof of identification and immigration status with them when traveling. This includes a valid passport and valid I-20.