How do I know if I have AEIS requirements?
All international students must satisfy the AEIS requirement upon enrolling at the University of Oregon. However, students who meet at least one of the following conditions will have already satisfied the requirement:
- Students whose first language is English
- U.S. citizens and permanent residents
- Students with a bachelor's degree or higher from an accredited U.S. college or university
- Exchange or sponsored students who are not seeking their degree from the UO
- Students who have submitted TOEFL scores of 575 (88 IBT, 7 IELTS)
Students who do not meet at least one of the conditions described above must meet the AEIS requirement by completing courses during their first year at the UO based on the results of the AEIS Placement Test.
Do I have to take the AEIS placement test?
If you are an undergraduate student whose native language is NOT English and you do not meet one of the other conditions above, you must take the placement test if your TOEFL iBT score is 87 or below; TOEFL PBT is 574 or below; IELTS is 6.5 or below; or you do not have one of these test scores.
When and where do I take the AEIS placement test?
Once you are admitted to the university, you will receive an email with information about taking the AEIS Placement Test online. This email should arrive several weeks before International Student Orientation (ISO). Because the placement test is online, you should take it before traveling to Eugene for orientation.
What is the format of the AEIS Placement Test?
- Part 1: Writing. Students write an essay within the 30-minute time limit.
- Parts 2 and 3: Listening and Reading Comprehension. Each of these tests consists of 20 questions. Neither test is timed, so the amount of time required varies from student to student. However, students must complete the test within the 2-hour time limit of the testing session.
The results of the AEIS Placement Test are used to place students into appropriate AEIS classes. The test can only be taken once.