This course explores effective practices in course and materials design in English for Specific Purposes (ESP). The course will be appropriate for teachers who are interested in English for Academic Purposes (EAP), as well as English for a range of specific occupational and professional purposes such as English for business communication. Participants will learn how to conduct a needs analysis, plan a course to meet student needs, and bring an ESP approach to any language class.
By the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Identify effective practices in ESP course design.
- Conduct an effective needs assessment for language instruction.
- Evaluate and develop materials for ESP instruction.
Course Scope and Sequence
- Week 1: Course introduction and cohort building. Definitions of ESP, EAP and English for professional and occupational purposes. Overview of ESP principles.
- Week 2: Needs Assessment and ESP curriculum planning.
- Week 3: Materials development and adaptation for ESP.
- Week 4: Lesson planning and classroom activities for ESP contexts.
- Week 5: ESP course and program evaluation.
Course participants will be required to:
- Complete all reading assignments.
- Participate in weekly online discussions by posting thoughts and reflections about the readings and commenting on the posts of other course participants.
- Submit weekly course development tasks.
- Give constructive and substantive feedback on fellow participants’ tasks.