ACE Program Overview
The University of Oregon (UO) American English Institute (AEI), a unit of the College of Arts and Sciences, is pleased to offer the Advanced Certification in English Language Teaching (ACE), a 200-hour online professional development program for English language teaching (ELT) professionals. The cost is $700 USD per person per course. Discounts may be available for alumni and groups.
Who is this program for?
This program is for English language educators who:
- Are currently working in the field of English language instruction.
- Have at least two years English Language Teaching (ELT) experience.
- Desire to improve teaching knowledge and skills.
- Can dedicate 10 or more hours a week to reading, reflecting, and writing on educational topics.
- Have reliable daily Internet access.
- Have English language proficiency at a level high enough to do academic work (approximately TOEFL 525/iBT 70).
What will you learn?
This advanced certification consists of the following four courses, each 5 weeks in length (50 hours per course). Certain alumni of UO online and hybrid ELT training courses may be exempted from one or more of the courses.
- ACE Course #1 - Foundations in ELT Methodology
Connect theory to best practices for the classroom. Articulate your personal language teaching philosophy.
- ACE Course #2 - ELT Practice
Analyze the interaction of objectives, activities, and assessments to create a quality communicative language classroom. Identify potential capstone project topics.
- ACE Course #3 - Specialization
Specialization electives are available in topics such as Assessment, Critical Thinking (CT), or English for Specific Purposes (ESP). Future specialization options may also include options such as a focus on Science Technology Engineering and Math (STEM), Teaching English to Pre-Teens and Teens (TEPT), and Teaching English to Young Learners (TEYL). Ask for more information on upcoming options.
- ACE Course #4 - Capstone Project
Plan and implement a meaningful change to your instructional practice, and analyze the results through the Capstone Project final course. Share what you have learned with colleagues locally and worldwide.
How can this certification help you?
Complete your ACE to:
- Review ELT theory.
- Apply theory to classroom practice.
- Make meaningful changes in your own teaching practices.
- Build relationships with a global cohort of language teaching professionals.
- Develop professionally and share your knowledge.
- Streamline the preparation process for UO's Language Teaching Specialization MA degree program.
- Receive documentation of your 200-hour training from UO in the form of a certificate and Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
What are my next steps?
- Sponsors, email us for more information on group discounts at email@example.com.
- Alumni, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to ask about possible exemption from courses you've already successfully completed.
- Individuals, email us at email@example.com to ask about possible scholarships.