Getting a Visa

Use your AEI Admissions letter and Certificate of Eligibility (I-20 or DS-2019) form to secure your U.S. Student Visa. Most undergraduate students will receive an I-20 for F-1 visa status. Exchange and sponsored students may receive a DS-2019 and will need to apply for a J-1 visa. Please do not make appointments for your Student Visa with a U.S. Embassy/Consulate until you receive your UO / AEI Certificate of Eligibility.

Required SEVIS Fee:

  • All prospective students are required to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee before applying for a student visa. Credit card payment is simple through the online process at
  • SEVP payment requires the UO's school code = POO214F00001000 and your SEVIS ID # (found above the bar code on your I-20).
  • SEVIS payment is $200 for F1 and $180 for J1.
  • For instructions go to SEVIS FAQ.

Visa Interview:

After you have paid your SEVIS fee, you can apply for a visa. Check with your local U.S. Embassy or Consulate office to determine what documents and fees are required.

For accurate information about visa regulations, please go to:

You can enter the U.S. thirty days prior to the program start date, as shown on your I-20 or DS-2019 form.
Transfer students within the US:

Obtain and submit the AEI SEVIS Transfer form to the international SEVIS adviser at your current institution. Your adviser will complete the form and mail or fax the original to the University of Oregon’s AEI Admissions Coordinator. The AEI will either mail you your new I-20, or have you pick it up at the AEI Main Office (Pacific 107), after the designated SEVIS transfer release date.

AEI address:

American English Institute
106 Agate Hall
5212 University of Oregon
Eugene, OR 97403-5212
Phone: +1-541-346-3945

Visa Regulations

As an AEI student approved for an Intensive English Program, you are required by the US government to comply with the following F-1 and J-1 Visa regulations:

  • Pursue and complete full time study in the IEP and/or advising approved UO courses.
  • Be in good academic standing.
  • Attend class daily.

It is important that you know and follow the US rules and regulations for studying in an Intensive English Program as an international student. If you have any questions about your visa status, make an appointment with an AEI International/SEVIS Advisor, particularly if you:

  • Have a lost or stolen I-20 or passport.
  • Plan to change from one visa type to another.
  • Plan to extend your stay beyond the time indicated on your I-20.
  • Have dependent family members join you in the US.
  • Plan to transfer to a new school in the US.

Steps for Dealing with Lost or Stolen Immigration Documents

  • If stolen, call campus police (541) 346-2922 to file a police report.
  • Check UO Lost & Found in the EMU or call 541- 346-3711.
  • Contact your local consulate immediately to get a new passport.
  • Alert an AEI SEVIS advisor as soon as possible. The SEVIS advisor can make a duplicate copy of the I-20 and provide advice on how to apply for a replacement visa.  

Be sure to keep secure copies of your immigration documents and have them accessible while traveling in the US outside of the Eugene area. US regulations require all visitors to carry proof of identification and immigration status with them when traveling; this includes a valid passport and valid I-20.