Courses are designed to create a positive and effective English learning environment within the larger university campus. Content builds linguistic, inter-cultural, and contextual skills for seamless success into the U.S. educational system.
- Speaking and Listening (Levels 0 – 2) – 8 hours
- Listening (Levels 3-6)- 4 hours
- Discussion (Levels 3-6) – 4 hours
- Reading Response - 4 hours
- Grammar – 4 hours
- Core Choice – 2 or 4 hours
All full-time students take these basic curriculum courses for a total of 18 hours per week. New students also take a 2-hour/week ongoing orientation course, “Student Success.”
- Core Choice
- University Course Work (CEP)
Extracurricular Non-Credit Opportunities
- AEI Conversation Partner
- Service Learning, Duck Corps
- UO Physical Education (PE) and Dance Activity classes
- Outdoor Program trips
- Craft Center workshops
- No audition performance ensembles including the UO Women's Choir, Men's Choir, and University Gospel Choir
Fees range depending on the activity, see UO current Schedule of Classes for details.
Classes are small, which ensures personal attention for each student. Students attend at least 18 hours of classes per week, but have the option to extend it to 24 hours if they also choose elective classes. Students are usually assigned homework. Outside of class, they can meet with an American tutor, who can help them with their work or just have a conversation.
Student Records & Registration
The AEI, in compliance with university and federal policy, provides IEP students with timely and accessible academic schedules, transcript, attendance, and program completion records. Academic records for courses taken through the UO's Community Education Program (CEP) or non-credit Physical Education (PE) are available through students DuckWeb accounts.